Sunday, March 29, 2009

Pinewood Derby and Science Fair





We'll start out this post with Caleb's triumph at the pinewood derby. I'm no longer Cubmaster, so the pinewood derby was much less stress this year in that aspect. However, Caleb had placed 2nd his first year and tied for 3rd last year, so this year he planned to win so he could have all his places covered. No pressure. We didn't do anything unusual, just polished the axles really well (the true and only key to pinewood derby success, in my somewhat informed opinion). And what do you know, we won! He was really excited, but I'm afraid the bar is set too high for Seth's upcoming 3 years of derbies.
Abby and Caleb also had science fair projects to complete this month. Abby wanted to do something climbing-related, so we load tested an old climbing rope. Caleb was going to do something related to pinewood derby cars. But after reading a post from a friend of mine whose son had done a science fair project on backpacking stoves, Caleb decided that sounded more interesting.
After some internet research, I randomly picked a site with instructions on building a soda can stove. I've read about these, but had never been interested. My first attempt was a disaster, but the second stove worked great. Basically, you cut the bottoms off of two pop cans, stick them together, and punch pin holes for the burner jets. It was pretty fun, we're planning on doing some field testing this summer, with a real stove for backup.
Anyway, after the judging was over, Abby got 2nd place in her class and Caleb got Honorable Mention. I think they did great, Caleb showed his mad Excel skills and put together some awesome graphs.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Their projects were awesome. I am wondering what Caleb's derby car was. It looks neat. Way to go Bohrer kids!

Andrea said...

Caleb and Abby (and let's face it, Steve, too) you guys did a great job on your projects! Way to go on the pinewood derby as well!