Friday, June 27, 2008

Indiana Jones and Caleb's Birthday


Caleb's 10th birthday was on June 11. He was introduced to the fine cinema trilogy known as Indiana Jones at his Grandpa Herb's house. The Indiana Jones Legos series with the new film has cemented the love affair. Caleb knew he wanted to have an Indiana Jones cake. I'm thinking -- no problem, frost the cake and throw some Legos on. Oh no, Caleb had other ideas. He wanted his cake to be the fedora hat that Indie wears. Not as simple.


I wasn't sure how to pull this one together. I really enjoy making the kids cakes. I am not a professional cake decorator and I don't try to be one. I figure it should look decent, but taste better -- that's what cakes are for. I have to admit I was proud of myself this time. I found the idea to use a baked tortilla for the hat brim and I used my pampered chef bowl for the top and frosted a fruit roll up for the hat brim. Caleb was happy.


Caleb came away with a huge haul from his birthday, of course. Indiana Jones was the theme of the presents as well. He received Indiana Jones Legos and video game. His birthday money was spent on more legos and a book on mythology. We gave him Chacos (sandals) which have nothing to do with Indiana Jones, but he's working on a Chaco tan to match his dad's (see Caleb's slackline picture above). Overall, I'd say it was a very successful birthday!
Oh yeah, we went to see Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull for his birhtday.

1 comments:

The Hyding Place said...

Jennie,
Your cake looks great. I am impressed with your creativity!