Sunday, December 27, 2009

It's Christmas!

We had a wonderful Christmas this year! It wasn't smooth or picturesque, but what is? I was actually surprised to hear the kids lament how long it was until Christmas. It made me realize that the days weren't rocketing past them at the speed of light like they were for me.


The kids have been out of school since December 11. This gave us plenty of time to catch up on our sleep, but it also meant they spent a lot of time at home alone. I had primary meetings, basketball games, music lessons, preschool, playgroups, and an anniversary to still attend before I could enjoy Christmas. I was wondering if we would ever slow down, but finally on Christmas Eve it all fell into place.


The best tradition we began this year started as a little joke from Caleb. He laughed, "Tomorrow we should have shephard's pie for dinner." The idea sparked inside my mind and we quickly worked out the week's menu


Shephards - shephard's pie
Wiseman - Chinese food (you know, from the East???)
Angels - Angel hair pasta
Joseph - Bread and goat cheese
Mary and Jesus - A cake made like a cave with Mary, Joseph and Jesus inside

It's an idea that can still be fleshed out completely but we really enjoyed it! I was surprised how enthusiastically the kids ate goat cheese. Certain members of this family don't try new things easily, no I'm not talking about Steve, however they loved it.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!




3 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE the cake and the menu idea - we may have to copy that next year! Hope you guys have a great New Year!

Andrea said...

I love how the cake turned out!

Penny said...

Hey Smartie pants - what a great idea. I'm so stealing this...

Glad to hear you had a great day!